Dogtra Dog Training and Bark Collars FAQs
Dogtra bark collars and training collars are designed to unleash your dog’s full potential. With 30 years of industry expertise, Dogtra offers the best in e-collar training to support to dog owners, with safe and effective training tools and methods. Before you purchase a Dogtra bark collar, make sure to read some of the most frequently asked questions relating to Dogtra e-collars.
1. Can a Dogtra training collar stop my dog from barking?
Yes, when used in conjunction with adequate training methods, Dogtra e-collars can be used to stop unwanted barking. But be aware that dogs can bark for many reasons: to mark their territory, out of fear, anxiety or loneliness, to say hello or get your attention. For your four-legged friend to understand that their outbursts aren’t appreciated, you must trigger stimulation through the bark collar as soon as the dog exhibits the unwanted behaviour, and discontinue it when the dog ceases to bark. If you usually aren’t at home when the barking occurs, we recommend using an e-collar such as the Dogtra YS300 No Bark Collar which activates from the vibration of the dog’s vocal cords and emits a preselected static correction level to stop the pooch from barking.
2. How do Dogtra training and bark collars work?
Dogtra training and bark collars are static collars that deliver electrostatic stimulation when the dog barks, or howls.. With the patented Dogtra stimulation control, you, as the dog’s owner, have full control over the precise correction levels. You can fine-tune the level of stimulation according to your dog’s size, temperament. and response.
Dogtra offers two types of e-collars:
- Remote training collars that come with a handheld transmitter, such as the DOGTRA iQ PLUS Dog Remote Training Collar. The remote control sends radio signals to the collar, which then releases a single, painless stimulation to get your dog's attention. The range of transmission is usually around the 400-metre mark.
- And bark collars that automatically activate when vibrations of the dog’s vocal cords are detected, an example being the Dogtra YS600 Dog Bark Collar.
3. Are Dogtra training and bark collars a safe choice for my dog?
Yes, Dogtra e-collars are safe for your pooch and were designed with your dog' s health and welfare in mind. The stimulation the dog receives through the Dogtra collar is neither painful nor does it cause harm. It is similar to the static shock you sometimes experience when touching a metal doorknob. The correct use of e-collars is however still important.
4. Are Dogtra collars waterproof?
Wondering about the Dogtra waterproof rating? If your dog loves to go for a swim, don’t worry. Most Dogtra collars, including the handheld transmitter and receiver on the collar, are waterproof and fully immersible. Do keep in mind that water will increase the intensity of each stimulation. So before you let your four-legged friend dive into the next puddle, make sure to down-regulate the setting to a lower level than you’d normally use.
5. Can I use Dogtra dog collars on my puppy?
Yes, but only once they are older than six months.
Dog trainers agree that the early use of dog training collars can be of benefit. If your puppy is chewing on furniture or biting holes in socks and even a loud “ouch” or a prolonged time out doesn’t stop them, introducing a training collar can provide relief and encourage desirable behaviour.
When your puppy is six months or older, has adjusted to its new home and family and can focus on basic commands, you can consider adding an e-collar to the mix. But remember, the collar isn’t going to do the work for you, it simply serves as an amplifier of your voice and actions.
Training collars can help to get more out of a young dog’s training when:
- You know how to use the tool correctly and are able to train basic commands without the collar.
- Are a patient person and have some training knowledge already.
- And have an energetic dog that is showing early signs of unwanted behaviour, such as jumping, chewing or barking.
6. How do I best introduce my dog to a Dogtra e-collar?
To get started, you will need to identify the appropriate stimulation levels for your dog. In training, the level of stimulation should be noticeable, but not so much so that it upsets your pooch. When training your dog in a confined space, make sure he is wearing his normal collar and the Dogtra e-collar, and attach a long leash to the regular collar. Let your dog explore the area on the leash, and on the lowest setting, start tapping the controller. Don’t give any commands, just look out for signs that indicate your dog has noticed the e-collar. Once he has, you can stop increasing the intensity of the output.
For more information on introducing your dog to Dogtra e-collars, check out our e-collar training book!